Teens Unite Fighting Cancer

Teens Unite Fighting Cancer is dedicated to improving the lives of young people aged between 13-24 with cancer and life limiting illnesses.

Friday 15 April 2016

It's always going to be okay in the end

 
Teen Azreen talks openly about her battle with cancer, and how important it is to be proud of everything which you achieve in life.
 
 

"I just wanted to talk about something that had been on my mind for a long while now but I'd been refraining from.

In case you don't already know, I had been cleared of cancer back in March 2015 only to relapse again in June the same year and begin a whole new cycle of surgeries and chemotherapy. I've now been off treatment for almost 4 months.

For those that know me, you know that coming up to this year had been particularly hard knowing that the majority of people I know are... now either graduating, married and starting their families, or in their dream job. All of which I imagined myself achieving at 21. I hate to admit it but it had been the root cause of a lot of anxiety and I beat myself down a lot because of it. It took a while for me to understand, and to teach myself that although nearly everyone I know is attaining "life goals", I've learnt some pretty invaluable lessons over the past two years, the biggest lesson being learning how to be grateful for all I've got, rather than dwell on what I haven't got, live without grudges and negativity and let the people I care about know that I love them.
 Milestones for you would be, getting that promotion you've been waiting for, getting married, seeing your child take their first steps, getting your degree after years of hard work, and so on. Me, I'm achieving new milestones too. For example, cooking a meal without having to lie down from utter exhaustion, finishing a meal without the overwhelming urge to vomit, combing my hair for the first time.

... or the biggest one: realising that just because I'm not on my way to societies definition of "success", doesn't mean I'm not successful at all. I mean, I've pulled myself out of death's claws during a week in intensive care, I've beat cancer twice and I've learnt the value of life - the value of healthy lungs, functional limbs and a beating heart - it's success, just not the same as yours and just because I don't update every other day, doesn't mean I'm not kicking cancer in its teeth everyday.

Finally, for anyone like me out there that's watching everyone they know achieve the things they thought they'd be achieving by now. Stop beating yourself up. You're not a failure. You have amazing things planned for you, and you're going to do them, and you're going to be proud of yourself, and you're going to love you.

It's always going to be okay in the end."
 

 
 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Teens Unite Fighting Cancer | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig